Always start with a plan… then the rest of your journey will be smooth sailing.
After for over a month now, I finally got my ass off with putting up a new theme. Yes, it’s a lot more plain than the previous theme, however, the outside look and design shouldn’t be the priority here. If I were going to go all out for the looks, I would have just made a sample page of it and add it up as my portfolio. Go figure.
I am using the parent theme Scrawl, created by the folks behind WordPress.1 The theme is originally an addition to the collection of pre-made themes for the peeps whose blogs are hosted by WordPress.com. The emphasis of this very minimal-designed theme is towards the writing, the real content of the site. I figured that successful blogs shouldn’t always be distracted by too many distractions, like too many graphics and other flashy stuff that not only would give you a failing grade of F in website speed, but ones that would really screw up your eyesight.2 I created a child theme based on Scrawl because I wanted to change a lot of things here. To be more specific, the color schemes. I was able to change the main background, but for the slide-out menu, is where I truly failed. All I wanted was to change the background colors of the slide-out menu,3 but whenever I do that, the entire slide-out menu gets screwed up functionally, which truly makes no sense whatsoever. I had no choice but to leave the slide-out menu colors at default. Maybe I’ll try to attempt to change the colors again next time.
Next, I created a new logo for the blog simply because I was able to purchase so many fancy fonts in a mega bundle for a very low price.4 I also purchased a huge bundle of watercolor effects and brushes for a very low price as well.5 I’m just rather upset that the logo incredibly shrank at the top left corner and you can barely see it. Luckily you’d be able to see the entire logo at its original size on the slide-out menu.
I also decided to upload a few fancy fonts you won’t find at Google Fonts and apply them to a few of the portions of this blog. I had to use a plugin for this one, but nevertheless, I deleted off other plugins that I no longer find useful in powering up this blog. My GTMetrix site speed score improved from a D to a C because of this theme’s super-minimal design.
Lastly, I decided to have the front page to show just one entry instead of the usual 5-7 entries in one page. It’s mainly because this theme doesn’t have the function to show excerpts of the entries instead of the entire entry. This sucks big time because this theme also gives emphasis on the featured images too, but you have to go to the blog entry’s single page for you to view it. It sucks, I know.
I’ll figure out how to remedy and a few tweaks tomorrow. It’s almost 2:00 am. I admit, it’s not quite the choice theme that I have in mind for ADRICULOUS 2.0, but it is a very functional and a very light theme.
Oh, and hey! I finally got an image signature at the end of each entry now.
On the sidenote...
- Automattic. [↩]
- My eyesight is as screwed up as it is. [↩]
- pastel blue instead of black, etc. [↩]
- $20-$30 for the entire bundle at Creative Market and Design Cuts… [↩]
- $10-$25. [↩]