The last time I’ve written for Blogcritics was back in 2012, I believe. Yep, 2012. My last review was of a novel called The Tiger’s Wife by Téa Obreht. Even though it’s a little complex and slow in the beginning, still well worth reading if you love magical realism. Anyway.
Why the long hiatus from Blogcritics? Lot of factors happened, and here are a few of them:
- I got myself sinking into fanfiction writing and other types of fandoms again, primarily towards J-dramas1 and a few K-dramas2 mixed in somewhere there.
- Blogcritics also went through a lot of changes. For instance, they became independent again when Technorati decided to shift their focus to something else other than promoting “good public writing,” which I have no idea what it is exactly. When I first joined Blogcritics, they were owned by Technorati. I don’t know, you guys figure it out. All of my articles written in Technorati, including my one and only Soapbox Musings article about my short-lived loyalty to Blackberry (short-lived back then because Blackberry just halted their smartphone production and that I had no choice but to go to an Android phone), no longer exist on the site.
- Blogcritics also migrated from their internal publishing platform (probably created internally by Technorati) to WordPress. During the migration, I no longer have access to the site anymore and that I never received any replies from their tech support whenever I tried to contact them about the password issue. Luckily, my original account was not deleted and that all my articles for the online magazine still exists.
And as always, just like before, I will be writing reviews for the following:
- Fiction books. Manga included.
- Non-fiction books that I find notable to read.
interviews games TV shows moviesbooks.
Also, Blogcritics now has a Flash Fiction section as well, so we writers can now contribute some short creative writing and share it with the masses. The only thing is, we can’t originally write these and post these anywhere else, such as my blog (Adri Mars writing site also included), FictionPress, FanfictionNET, and all those other literary/fiction writing sites, because, after all, Blogcritics is an online magazine and it must have original content that only belongs to them.
I have written fiction, but I have never written flash fiction. It’s rather difficult to come up with a good story that only contains 1,000 words and no more than that. Hm, how can that be possible?
I already requested a review for one particular book: an upcoming manga created by Bisco Hatori of the Ouran High School Host Club manga series fame. For all the manga fans, I’m sure this particular new one is already familiar, but this manga won’t be released until February 2nd or 3rd, I believe. Now I’m waiting for the response from the PRs at Viz so they can send me a free copy for me to review.3
It’s past 3:00 am here now. Time to hit the sack.