Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God.
Therefore, whoever resists authority opposes what God has appointed, and those who oppose it will bring judgment upon themselves. For rulers are not a cause of fear to good conduct, but to evil. Do you wish to have no fear of authority? Then do what is good and you will receive approval from it, for it is a servant of God for your good. But if you do evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword without purpose; it is the servant of God to inflict wrath on the evildoer.
Therefore, it is necessary to be subject not only because of the wrath but also because of conscience. This is why you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. Pay to all their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, toll to whom toll is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due. — Romans 13:1-8 (NABRE)1
I know, I have been AWOL from blogging for how many weeks now… even months. Blame it on the NBA Finals2 and Sims 4. But anyway, no more excuses.
One thing I learned about the American media is that whatever happens here, the entire world will eventually come to learn about that particular happening. The biggest news (so far anyway) deals with another form of human equality and fundamental human rights: the legalization and recognition of same sex marriages. No matter how much you look at it from all sides of view, history has been made in this country of freedom and opportunity known as the United States of America.
From my knowledge, the U.S. is the second nation to make same sex marriages legal.3 Knowing the media in history throughout the entire world, having lived in another country before the U.S. in my life, this new law will definitely bring a huge impact with other4 nations around the world. But of course, no new law will simply get away being free without any controversies from those who are against same sex marriages… or rather… just the LGBT Community in general.5
Although I don’t always write about it so much, I am a proud Roman Catholic and have been open to my beliefs. I have been aware since Sunday school that the holy sacrament of Holy Matrimony6 has always been between a man and a woman. However, from reading news articles and actually taking the time to read the entire ruling of the new law, the following below is my understanding of what the law means:
- Same sex married couples now have the same rights as heterosexual couples. This means basic benefits such as health insurance, financial aspects, shared property, etc.
- Their right to marry has nothing to do with religion. People can marry through civil marriages anyway. Religion doesn’t have to be involved. In short, this law has nothing to do with forcing religions to redefine their definition of marriage, so basically, the legalization of same sex marriages has nothing to do with me and my beliefs as a Catholic.
- Because a lot of heterosexual couples have become heartless enough to give away their children for adoption, homosexual couples can provide a good loving home for these orphaned/neglected children, and who’s to say that these children would grow up homosexual too? I happen to know people (in real life) who have homosexual parents but are straight. My first nanny/babysitter when I was a child was a gay man and I grew up being straight.7
- As a Christian, only God, not these so-called “good Christian” bigots, can judge what is sin and what is not. In case some of these bigots forget, the basis of Christianity is love. Love one another as you love yourself.8
And here is a message to those who condemn this huge piece of historical news. First of all, you don’t live in the U.S., therefore, you can keep your beliefs and reactions to yourselves, follow your own laws of your own lands, and mind your own business. This new law has nothing to do with you, so it should not affect you in the first place. Second, take your time to read what this new law is about if you are still confused. Take the time to read and understand the meaning behind that law before you can start spewing your bigotry against other human beings. Last, but not least, there are a lot more immoral issues that still needs to be dealt with— like humans killing other humans, the poverty that’s going on around the world, and most of all, nations being torn by war and hate.
On the sidenote...
- New American Bible Revised Edition — the current default Bible used in American Roman Catholic churches today. [↩]
- My Dubs rule NBA this year now. The championship trophy proves it! [↩]
- Ireland is the first nation to legalize same sex marriages. I just had to mention this. [↩]
- most likely Western… [↩]
- *cough*Religiousgroups*cough* [↩]
- fancy word for marriage? [↩]
- Besides, in case people forget, all members of the LGBT Community have heterosexual parents. 2 men and 2 women cannot reproduce offspring, after all. [↩]
- Mark 12:31 [↩]